Making good Mondays is like making coffee -


The week is before us - like the coffee pot - waiting to brew. Making it good is a matter of choice, luck, creativity, patience and acceptance of the outcome.

Currently at Making Good Mondays

Active elements on this page: Occasionally I will publish a new blog post, but I write mostly at other sites.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Confessions of a collector

Inveterate collectors have certain things in common. Most of us like items that have these traits:

  • Valuable - I collect stuff I like a lot, like original Southwestern art, New England antiques, books and photographs. I like to look at my stuff. I like fine things, but I do not collect fine jewelry. I do not collect stuff with which to adorn myself, so others would look at me.
  • Not valuable - And I collect stuff that I like even a little bit, like socks. Sometimes I discard the stuff I don't like much like empty jars; but I procrastinate with getting rid of that stuff. I have a drawer-full. Because I am retired since 2002, much of my clothes collection now has rotten elastic. But I can't throw it away. So it will be cut up for "plant ties" - later. That collection will then be stored in the shed.
  • Cheap - Sometimes I have clipped newspaper coupons; most of those in my current collection are out of date. That's another procrastination thing. But the Sunday paper is coming, so there'll be more freebies to cut out (neatly-because I am a bit obsessive).
  • Free - I collect free stuff. I am not quite a "dumpster diver," but at times I get close. My "I-with spots" graphic above was downloaded from a free clipart site called Freeze.com. It is stored in the "My Photos" Windows category of the Start button. Incidentally, I never figured out the thinking behind pressing "Start" to stop working with my computer.
  • In categories and containers -
I am also a "squirrel" who sorts and stores her stuff in anticipation of some unknown "winter." I have a coupon holder with separators for categories, including "Miscellaneous," (or "Misc." for short), my favorites. I am the Queen of Categories. My all-time best accomplishment was the set of Master Alphabetic Categories for files, browser favorites and my planner. It begins with At Home, Being a Friend, etc. and ends with Yard and Zodiac.
  • Miniature - I have lots of my stuff stored in a small box that plugs in and opens up (called a Dell Inspiron 9100). I have quite a vast virtual collection consisting of 1's and 0's, with 1.96 GB of available virtual memory.
  • Multiples - I have two aggregators that collect headlines for me. One, Bloglines, is my "homepage" on my IE web browser. Today I have a choice of 967 "feed" headlines sorted into 7 categories. The other, Newsgator, is my "homepage" on my SBC web browser. It has collected 487 headlines for me this morning.

  • Here are some of my favorites in today's Bloglines headline collection:
    From Yahoo!News - Understatement of the year: Latest Abu Ghraib pictures threaten to inflame anger in Iraq
    From CNN.com - Best pun: Apple users may find a worm
    From AMERICAblog - Big bad news: Bush admin. stymies Congressional inquiries on domestic spying
    From Talking Points Memo - Best teaser: Justice Department investigating...
    From Happy News - Biggest heart: Marsalis hopes to help revive New Orleans
    From Slate Magazine - Biggest Pessimist: Twilight of the Bogs
    From BBC News - Biggest Optimist: US says has "inoculation" strategy to curb Chavez (Reuters)
    I have to confess that this is probably TMI as far as my obsessions go. Also, I recommend you not add anything from above to your own collections except perhaps the free stuff link and those to the aggregators. Each of the news aggregators is different and each offers varied features. For now I am still loving my stuff.
    Tags:

    No comments:

    AddThis

    Bookmark and Share

    References on Spirituality -- Favorites from my old collection

    • "A Return To Love: Reflections On the Principles Of a Course In Miracles" by Marianne Williamson. Harper Collins, 1992
    • "A World Waiting To Be Born: Civility Rediscovered" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
    • "Chicken Soup For the Unsinkable Soul" by Canfield, Hansen and McNamara. Health Communications, 1999
    • "Compassion in Action: Setting Out On the Path of Service" by Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush. Bell Tower Pub., 1992
    • "Creative Visualization" by Shakti Gawain. MIF Books, 1978
    • "Finding Values That Work: The Search For Fulfillment" by Brian O'Connell. Walker & Co., 1978
    • "Fire in the Soul" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1993
    • "Further Along the Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
    • "Guilt Is the Teacher, Love Is the Lesson" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1990
    • "Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways To Regain Peace and Nourish the Soul" by Elaine St. James. Hyperion, 1995
    • "Insearch:Psychology and Religion" by James Hillman. Spring Pub. 1994
    • "Man's Search For Himself" by Rollo May. Signet Books, 1953
    • "Mythologies" by William Butler Yeats. Macmillan, 1959
    • "Myths, Dreams and Religion" by Joseph Campbell. Spring Pub. 1988
    • "Passion for Life: Psychology and the Human Spirit" by John and Muriel James. Penguin Books, 1991
    • "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Bantam Books , 1991
    • "The Heroine's Journey" by Mureen Murdock. Random House, 1990
    • "The Hope For Healing Human Evil" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1983
    • "The House of Belonging" poems by David Whyte. Many Rivers Press, 2004
    • "The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth" by M.Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1978
    • "The Soul's Code: In Search Of Character and Calling" by James Hillman. Random House, 1996
    • "The World Treasury of Modern Religious Thought" by Jaroslav Pelikan. Little, Brown & Co., 1990
    • "Unconditional Life" by Deepak Chopra. Bantam Books, 1992
    • "Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Hyperion, 1994
    • "Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Doubleday Dell Pub. Group, 1974

    About Me

    My photo
    A retired counselor, I am equal parts Techie and Artist. I am a Democrat who came to the Southwest to attend college. I married, had kids and have lived here all my adult life.