Making good Mondays is like making coffee -


The week is before us - like the coffee pot - waiting to brew. Making it good is a matter of choice, luck, creativity, patience and acceptance of the outcome.

Currently at Making Good Mondays

Active elements on this page: Occasionally I will publish a new blog post, but I write mostly at other sites.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

To: "Too Many"

    To: "too many" -

Women with a dreaded diagnosis, the numbers are far

Too many.  Suspected breast cancer they learn.

It’s like an epidemic my mom says - a hero, she’s the star

Survivor, the toughest of surgeries. Now it’s my turn

To take on my own fight against cancer.

  

The number of new patients in Doc's office was abnormal.

 Too many large envelopes with mottled imagery.

 Faces taut and determined to behave as if all’s normal.

Will surgery be recommended? Their heads swimming,

As mine did too.  I join new patients, now on the schedule

With their own fights against cancer.


The bench in the room with the small round table held

Too many of the stuffed heart-shaped pillows. 

Volunteer-stitched of comfy print, filling the space well.

For many surgeries’ sore under-arms, I’m willing

 To take mine home, too.  I join all the others who fell

Victim to cancer.


But I will not be its Victim.  “No despair nor self pity;” I tell

It to many.  And I’ll not stuff my fears, my feelings.

The “Breast Care Center’s” warm atmosphere’s gelled

Into a safe place for my breast’s surgical healings.

I’m one of “us” now. I join all the women who celebrate

An early diagnosis of cancer!


By Carol Gee

June 21, 2007

1 comment:

June Butler said...

Carol, I am so sorry.

I had breast cancer 22 years ago. My mother had it before me, twice, but she died of something else, a bleeding stress ulcer several months after having a stroke, at the age of 84.

The cancer did not kill her, and it has not killed me yet. I am 72.

Your mother must have had the radical mastectomy. God bless her. But she's still here. You know there is hope.

I remember when I went for my first radiation treatment and looked around at the people in the waiting room. I thought, "My God. All these people have cancer!" And then, I thought, "I have cancer, too."

Before that awakening, people with cancer were very much "other". Now I was one of "them". What encouraged me was that a good many of the folks in the room looked pretty well. Only a few looked really sick.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Your poem is beautiful. I will pray for you.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

References on Spirituality -- Favorites from my old collection

  • "A Return To Love: Reflections On the Principles Of a Course In Miracles" by Marianne Williamson. Harper Collins, 1992
  • "A World Waiting To Be Born: Civility Rediscovered" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Chicken Soup For the Unsinkable Soul" by Canfield, Hansen and McNamara. Health Communications, 1999
  • "Compassion in Action: Setting Out On the Path of Service" by Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush. Bell Tower Pub., 1992
  • "Creative Visualization" by Shakti Gawain. MIF Books, 1978
  • "Finding Values That Work: The Search For Fulfillment" by Brian O'Connell. Walker & Co., 1978
  • "Fire in the Soul" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1993
  • "Further Along the Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Guilt Is the Teacher, Love Is the Lesson" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1990
  • "Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways To Regain Peace and Nourish the Soul" by Elaine St. James. Hyperion, 1995
  • "Insearch:Psychology and Religion" by James Hillman. Spring Pub. 1994
  • "Man's Search For Himself" by Rollo May. Signet Books, 1953
  • "Mythologies" by William Butler Yeats. Macmillan, 1959
  • "Myths, Dreams and Religion" by Joseph Campbell. Spring Pub. 1988
  • "Passion for Life: Psychology and the Human Spirit" by John and Muriel James. Penguin Books, 1991
  • "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Bantam Books , 1991
  • "The Heroine's Journey" by Mureen Murdock. Random House, 1990
  • "The Hope For Healing Human Evil" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1983
  • "The House of Belonging" poems by David Whyte. Many Rivers Press, 2004
  • "The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth" by M.Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1978
  • "The Soul's Code: In Search Of Character and Calling" by James Hillman. Random House, 1996
  • "The World Treasury of Modern Religious Thought" by Jaroslav Pelikan. Little, Brown & Co., 1990
  • "Unconditional Life" by Deepak Chopra. Bantam Books, 1992
  • "Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Hyperion, 1994
  • "Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Doubleday Dell Pub. Group, 1974

About Me

My photo
A retired counselor, I am equal parts Techie and Artist. I am a Democrat who came to the Southwest to attend college. I married, had kids and have lived here all my adult life.