Making good Mondays is like making coffee -


The week is before us - like the coffee pot - waiting to brew. Making it good is a matter of choice, luck, creativity, patience and acceptance of the outcome.

Currently at Making Good Mondays

Active elements on this page: Occasionally I will publish a new blog post, but I write mostly at other sites.

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Eye Candy: slide shows

(Yum Yum image from FreeFoto.com)

Innovation abounds in the blogosphere. The World Wide no longer consists of mere words. The amount of band width now available to most of us makes the Internet rich with imagery. I call it "eye candy."

I do so because of my early experiences with a good 35mm camera. I bought it in the 1970's just before I took two semesters of college photography classes. I had everything eventually. . . a bunch of different focal length lenses, a variety of filters, a good flash unit, a light box, a viewing lupe, a tripod, a slide projector and portable screen and a darkroom. And I produced a fairly good number of slide shows, beginning with one I did as a class project. I found a mail-in photo processing place on the west coast that would send me a free 36 exposure roll of 35mm film, a set of mounted slides and a roll of negatives with each order. I was in heaven. I used that service for years. They are now out of business, another casualty of the digital age.

Slides -- I have a trunk full of old 35mm slides that I hope to scan and store digitally some day. (Another of my oft repeated New Year's resolutions). Do you know what I mean by the photographic term, slides? Philip Guo explained it well in "Integrity in Digital Photography:" To quote:

Slide, Film, and Digital Photography

What does a photograph truly look like after you have taken it?

In traditional slide photography, the slide that results from the development process is your final photograph. Take it or leave it. That's it. That is why professionals love to use slides. There is a certain satisfaction in knowing that if your picture looks good when it is projected onto the wall, then you did everything perfectly - you chose the correct film, you set the right f-stop and shutter speed, and you composed the shot optimally. However, if the picture is a bit darker or lighter than you intended, but you like everything else about it, then you're flat out of luck. There ain't nothing you can do. Slide photography is costly (and thus mostly reserved for pros) because there is no forgiveness for even minor mistakes.

Film photography is a bit more forgiving since photographs are developed into negatives before being printed onto photo paper. Through proper darkroom techniques, a photographer can control the brightness, contrast, and color balance of a photograph. He can even make specific changes to certain areas of a photograph in a process known as dodging and burning. The great landscape photographer Ansel Adams is well-known for his remarkable ability to dodge and burn photos in the darkroom. However, most people do not have the time nor skill to custom process every photo in the darkroom. We take our film to photo labs where a computer decides what the best darkroom processing settings are for our photographs. A picture that is a bit darker or lighter than intended can be fixed in the darkroom to a certain extent. As a result, just because a photograph looks great as a print does not mean that you did everything perfectly. The photo lab computer probably fixed some of your minor mistakes to give you a good-looking print.

All of the photos on the Internet are in digital format, and many of them were originally taken as slide or film photographs. They were scanned in using either a conventional flatbed scanner or using a more expensive (but higher-quality) film scanner that scans negatives instead of prints.

Google hosts all but one of my blog websites. The photos or clipart that I use to illustrate my blog posts at South by Southwest and at this blog, Making Good Mondays, were all stored on Picasa Web Albums, Google's great feature. It is where I have made all my Internet slide shows available to the public. I have also added or embedded several "slide shows" on the pages of my blogs. Here's a list:

South by Southwest slide shows --

  • "john & karen hollingsworth wildlife photos" is a series of lovely nature photos for the National Wildlife Refuge System. It is located about midway in the right sidebar column.

  • "millennium slide show" is political commentary about the Bush administration. It has captions, and is located at the bottom left of the page.

Making Good Mondays slide shows --

  • "Life is Good" is my little photo montage celebrating life. It leads the left column.

  • "Spacey Shots" is another captioned photo essay recognizing my "space junky" side. It is also at the bottom right of my posting section.

The end of this story illustrates why slide shows have such a warm place in my heart. That first slide show I produced back in the mid-1970's eventually let me into my late-blooming career as a Social Worker. Though I eventually landed in my counseling office after reaching the age of 50, I never lost my love for imagery. And here I am again 30 years later doing slide shows, but in a much more magical way.

My New Year's resolution is to scan my old slides, and only then buy myself a digital camera for being such a good girl.

Cross-posted at Southwest Blogger

My topical post today at South by Southwest and The Reaction is about a war casualty.

Technorati tags:

No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

References on Spirituality -- Favorites from my old collection

  • "A Return To Love: Reflections On the Principles Of a Course In Miracles" by Marianne Williamson. Harper Collins, 1992
  • "A World Waiting To Be Born: Civility Rediscovered" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Chicken Soup For the Unsinkable Soul" by Canfield, Hansen and McNamara. Health Communications, 1999
  • "Compassion in Action: Setting Out On the Path of Service" by Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush. Bell Tower Pub., 1992
  • "Creative Visualization" by Shakti Gawain. MIF Books, 1978
  • "Finding Values That Work: The Search For Fulfillment" by Brian O'Connell. Walker & Co., 1978
  • "Fire in the Soul" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1993
  • "Further Along the Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Guilt Is the Teacher, Love Is the Lesson" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1990
  • "Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways To Regain Peace and Nourish the Soul" by Elaine St. James. Hyperion, 1995
  • "Insearch:Psychology and Religion" by James Hillman. Spring Pub. 1994
  • "Man's Search For Himself" by Rollo May. Signet Books, 1953
  • "Mythologies" by William Butler Yeats. Macmillan, 1959
  • "Myths, Dreams and Religion" by Joseph Campbell. Spring Pub. 1988
  • "Passion for Life: Psychology and the Human Spirit" by John and Muriel James. Penguin Books, 1991
  • "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Bantam Books , 1991
  • "The Heroine's Journey" by Mureen Murdock. Random House, 1990
  • "The Hope For Healing Human Evil" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1983
  • "The House of Belonging" poems by David Whyte. Many Rivers Press, 2004
  • "The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth" by M.Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1978
  • "The Soul's Code: In Search Of Character and Calling" by James Hillman. Random House, 1996
  • "The World Treasury of Modern Religious Thought" by Jaroslav Pelikan. Little, Brown & Co., 1990
  • "Unconditional Life" by Deepak Chopra. Bantam Books, 1992
  • "Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Hyperion, 1994
  • "Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Doubleday Dell Pub. Group, 1974

About Me

My photo
A retired counselor, I am equal parts Techie and Artist. I am a Democrat who came to the Southwest to attend college. I married, had kids and have lived here all my adult life.