Bevvy of beverages --
"What would you like to drink?" I said.
My guest looked down and shook his head.
So, not knowing the next best thing, I led
The way to the party table, a big spread.
"What would you like to eat?" I asked.
My guest looked up and then on past
Me to our friends, who had been tasked
to co-host this heck of a lavish repast.
"What would we do without our friends?"
Our guest asked it as if at loose ends.
My guest remained unable to transcend
Without the right words, on a downtrend.
"What I would give for a drink right now."
He looked down, not knowing at all how
To tell us, "I'm an alcoholic. I'll just bow
Out now, as I can't throw in the towel."
"What I would do to have my words back."
I looked all around for a different tack,
A better way to say I had been offtrack.
"Thanks so much for giving us feedback."
"What I will do is find a meeting," he said.
"My sponsor will know just how to head
Me on the right path; I'll go there instead."
Our guest left abruptly. He almost fled.
"What would I like to drink?" I thought.
Then I thought again. Our guest taught
Me in a moment what sobriety's about.
Feel the feelings, don't get overwrought.
Making good Mondays is like making coffee -
Currently at Making Good Mondays
Sunday, April 06, 2008
Bevvy of beverages --
References on Spirituality -- Favorites from my old collection
- "A Return To Love: Reflections On the Principles Of a Course In Miracles" by Marianne Williamson. Harper Collins, 1992
- "A World Waiting To Be Born: Civility Rediscovered" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
- "Chicken Soup For the Unsinkable Soul" by Canfield, Hansen and McNamara. Health Communications, 1999
- "Compassion in Action: Setting Out On the Path of Service" by Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush. Bell Tower Pub., 1992
- "Creative Visualization" by Shakti Gawain. MIF Books, 1978
- "Finding Values That Work: The Search For Fulfillment" by Brian O'Connell. Walker & Co., 1978
- "Fire in the Soul" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1993
- "Further Along the Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
- "Guilt Is the Teacher, Love Is the Lesson" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1990
- "Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways To Regain Peace and Nourish the Soul" by Elaine St. James. Hyperion, 1995
- "Insearch:Psychology and Religion" by James Hillman. Spring Pub. 1994
- "Man's Search For Himself" by Rollo May. Signet Books, 1953
- "Mythologies" by William Butler Yeats. Macmillan, 1959
- "Myths, Dreams and Religion" by Joseph Campbell. Spring Pub. 1988
- "Passion for Life: Psychology and the Human Spirit" by John and Muriel James. Penguin Books, 1991
- "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Bantam Books , 1991
- "The Heroine's Journey" by Mureen Murdock. Random House, 1990
- "The Hope For Healing Human Evil" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1983
- "The House of Belonging" poems by David Whyte. Many Rivers Press, 2004
- "The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth" by M.Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1978
- "The Soul's Code: In Search Of Character and Calling" by James Hillman. Random House, 1996
- "The World Treasury of Modern Religious Thought" by Jaroslav Pelikan. Little, Brown & Co., 1990
- "Unconditional Life" by Deepak Chopra. Bantam Books, 1992
- "Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Hyperion, 1994
- "Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Doubleday Dell Pub. Group, 1974