Making good Mondays is like making coffee -


The week is before us - like the coffee pot - waiting to brew. Making it good is a matter of choice, luck, creativity, patience and acceptance of the outcome.

Currently at Making Good Mondays

Active elements on this page: Occasionally I will publish a new blog post, but I write mostly at other sites.

Monday, August 10, 2009

How Bloggers Keep on Keeping On - 2


Introduction -- Posting has become lax here. I have no excuse; I only have ambivalent thoughts and feelings regarding the business of blogging. They include: feeling lack of inspiration or anxious to set down a new idea; totally confused or "getting it" very clearly, feeling aimless or focused, frustrated or calm, or bored or fascinated. Whenever that happens, writing is my solution. It always clarifies my thoughts and gets me into a more productive mood. But first I have to clean up my laptop in order to work.

As is my practice in such times, I have been working on my hard drive to speed it up and get rid of glitches. I ran full virus and malware scans. I deleted out hundreds of unnecessary files and de-fragmented my disk. I got rid of a bunch of old Emails from three different mailboxes (at Gmail and Yahoo! mail: public and private). I used the bookmark manager to delete duplicate or outdated bookmarks and favorites. I changed from the most readable font to the most efficient/faster typeface. To put it mildly, I "cleaned house" as if company were coming. And here you are. Note: The title link above is to a post I did last year on the same subject, but with a tone that focused on inspiration.

The Internet is so much better than when I started blogging in March of 2005. I still have the same computer, but the available programs have improved markedly. And I improved as a blogger. I have always switched among browsers. Mozilla Firefox has many features and is very flexible. Internet Explorer has improved, but is still too "basic" for my tastes. Google's Chrome is a very streamlined and lightning fast browser if you are in a hurry.

Where I blog -- I use different blog hosting services, as well. I started at Blogger. The ubiquitous Blogger developed a beta version that is now rich with features and widgets. It is much more powerful than ever. My Blogger sites are: South by Southwest (politics), Behind the Links (links from regular contributors), and Making Good Mondays (personal and creative). My Wordpress blog is called Southwest Progressive (stories on Texas, the space program and science). Carol Gee - Online Universe is the all-in-one home page for all my websites. I have a private membership at Facebook and I post on Twitter.

Group blogging -- Also I have become part of several vibrant community/group blogs, each very different. The Reaction is edited by a Canadian, Michael J.W. Stickings, whose focus is on U.S. progressive politics. The Sirens Chronicles is a neat and edgy bunch of bloggers, mostly women who tell it like it is. TPM Cafe is my longtime blog website with a bunch of regular blogger-friends at Talking Points Memo, edited by Josh Marshall.

Conclusion-- So, how is this blogger keeping on ? I am trying to work smarter, not harder. The work keeps me fresh, I hope. I try to stay in touch with the vastly improved tools that make this free universe exciting and interesting. Associations with other bloggers keep me inspired and informed. I try hard to honor my commitments to them. My varied interests are served by a number of posting places, which also serve different audiences. And social networking is surprisingly fun.


Technorati tags:

No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

References on Spirituality -- Favorites from my old collection

  • "A Return To Love: Reflections On the Principles Of a Course In Miracles" by Marianne Williamson. Harper Collins, 1992
  • "A World Waiting To Be Born: Civility Rediscovered" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Chicken Soup For the Unsinkable Soul" by Canfield, Hansen and McNamara. Health Communications, 1999
  • "Compassion in Action: Setting Out On the Path of Service" by Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush. Bell Tower Pub., 1992
  • "Creative Visualization" by Shakti Gawain. MIF Books, 1978
  • "Finding Values That Work: The Search For Fulfillment" by Brian O'Connell. Walker & Co., 1978
  • "Fire in the Soul" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1993
  • "Further Along the Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Guilt Is the Teacher, Love Is the Lesson" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1990
  • "Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways To Regain Peace and Nourish the Soul" by Elaine St. James. Hyperion, 1995
  • "Insearch:Psychology and Religion" by James Hillman. Spring Pub. 1994
  • "Man's Search For Himself" by Rollo May. Signet Books, 1953
  • "Mythologies" by William Butler Yeats. Macmillan, 1959
  • "Myths, Dreams and Religion" by Joseph Campbell. Spring Pub. 1988
  • "Passion for Life: Psychology and the Human Spirit" by John and Muriel James. Penguin Books, 1991
  • "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Bantam Books , 1991
  • "The Heroine's Journey" by Mureen Murdock. Random House, 1990
  • "The Hope For Healing Human Evil" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1983
  • "The House of Belonging" poems by David Whyte. Many Rivers Press, 2004
  • "The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth" by M.Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1978
  • "The Soul's Code: In Search Of Character and Calling" by James Hillman. Random House, 1996
  • "The World Treasury of Modern Religious Thought" by Jaroslav Pelikan. Little, Brown & Co., 1990
  • "Unconditional Life" by Deepak Chopra. Bantam Books, 1992
  • "Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Hyperion, 1994
  • "Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Doubleday Dell Pub. Group, 1974

About Me

My photo
A retired counselor, I am equal parts Techie and Artist. I am a Democrat who came to the Southwest to attend college. I married, had kids and have lived here all my adult life.