Making good Mondays is like making coffee -


The week is before us - like the coffee pot - waiting to brew. Making it good is a matter of choice, luck, creativity, patience and acceptance of the outcome.

Currently at Making Good Mondays

Active elements on this page: Occasionally I will publish a new blog post, but I write mostly at other sites.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Five years of blogging today --


Celebrating "blogiversaries"  is a tradition in the blogosphere.  This is the fifth year I have been posting at South by Southwest, a blog about politics and government.  The areas of focus were citizen activism, civil liberties, Congress, the Middle East and the space program.  I also devoted a lot of page space to the administrations of George W. Bush and Barack Obama.  I worried that the previous administration did not adhere to the rule of law.  And I have worried that the current administration was too quick to adopt some of the more questionable national security policies of their predecessors.  Overall, however I am a happy citizen these days.

Posting  at several blog sites -- I came to writing regularly on my own and others' web pages.  I began to expand first with a more personal and creative site called Making Good Mondays, as well as a round-up site called Behind the Links.  More recently I joined a couple of social networking sites, Facebook-(private) and Twitter.  Each venue had distinct advantages.  When I felt the need for a piece of nonpolitical writing, I turned to MGM.  And I came to the practice of posting to BTL the interesting links my readers who became blog buddies sent me via Email.  At present I am drawn to the social nature of Facebook.  I keep up with personal friends and family as well as friends and acquaintances I made on the internet.  Twitter turns out to be the perfect way to do a quick scan of the very latest news, as well as read some of my favorite writers who have mastered the 140 character format.

Joining blog communities -- For several years I cross-posted my original political pieces at several "big" and 'little' group websites.  The blogging communities I joined include Daily Kos, Texas Kaos, TPM Cafe, The Reaction, Sirens Chronicles, Red Gage and Political Voices of Women. Like most other people in the blogosphere, I came to favor each group for different reasons.  Kos and TPM  are cutting edge, Texas Kaos is more local.  Reaction writers are among the best progressive voices; Sirens were wonderfully edgy and occasionally outrageous.  Red Gage is a friendly community where contributors earn money for the work they post.  Political Voices of Women spans the ideological spectrum.  These days I have stopped posting on most of the group sites.  It became too time consuming. I also felt a little burned out, which made me question the caliber of my writing for these high quality group sites.

My posting frequency has changed over the years, expanding and now contracting.  During the early years, there was no lack of issues about which I was passionate.  You see, I had a discernible opponent.  I am a progressive Democrat and President George W. Bush provided me with many things about which I could rant.  I did not know I was ranting at the time because I was a "newbie."  I just knew something was wrong and that I could speak out.  And I did, almost every day.  My goal, however,  was to try to balance criticism with positive recognition, though I have not always kept that balance equal.  Since President Obama was elected and Democrats became the majorities in both houses of congress, I am much less critical of those in charge.  And somehow I have not felt as driven to write as in the past.

Five years of rather regular writing has been a wonderful challenge, which I have not always met as I would have liked.  I have often felt the pressure to produce -- something very good or something to meet a deadline.  That is possibly a recipe for burnout.  However, the writing members of these communities were unfailingly supportive, accepting and intellectually stimulating.  I am sure I have gained more than I gave at each site.  Now I am about assessing where I am and what I want to do in my writing future.  I do know for sure that I will be around.  Stay tuned.

[Post date - 3/29/10]

Blogs: My general purpose/southwest focus blog is at Southwest Progressive. My creative website is at Making Good Mondays. And Carol Gee - Online Universe is the all-in-one home page for all my websites.
Technorati tags:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

References on Spirituality -- Favorites from my old collection

  • "A Return To Love: Reflections On the Principles Of a Course In Miracles" by Marianne Williamson. Harper Collins, 1992
  • "A World Waiting To Be Born: Civility Rediscovered" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Chicken Soup For the Unsinkable Soul" by Canfield, Hansen and McNamara. Health Communications, 1999
  • "Compassion in Action: Setting Out On the Path of Service" by Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush. Bell Tower Pub., 1992
  • "Creative Visualization" by Shakti Gawain. MIF Books, 1978
  • "Finding Values That Work: The Search For Fulfillment" by Brian O'Connell. Walker & Co., 1978
  • "Fire in the Soul" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1993
  • "Further Along the Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Guilt Is the Teacher, Love Is the Lesson" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1990
  • "Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways To Regain Peace and Nourish the Soul" by Elaine St. James. Hyperion, 1995
  • "Insearch:Psychology and Religion" by James Hillman. Spring Pub. 1994
  • "Man's Search For Himself" by Rollo May. Signet Books, 1953
  • "Mythologies" by William Butler Yeats. Macmillan, 1959
  • "Myths, Dreams and Religion" by Joseph Campbell. Spring Pub. 1988
  • "Passion for Life: Psychology and the Human Spirit" by John and Muriel James. Penguin Books, 1991
  • "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Bantam Books , 1991
  • "The Heroine's Journey" by Mureen Murdock. Random House, 1990
  • "The Hope For Healing Human Evil" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1983
  • "The House of Belonging" poems by David Whyte. Many Rivers Press, 2004
  • "The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth" by M.Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1978
  • "The Soul's Code: In Search Of Character and Calling" by James Hillman. Random House, 1996
  • "The World Treasury of Modern Religious Thought" by Jaroslav Pelikan. Little, Brown & Co., 1990
  • "Unconditional Life" by Deepak Chopra. Bantam Books, 1992
  • "Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Hyperion, 1994
  • "Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Doubleday Dell Pub. Group, 1974

About Me

My photo
A retired counselor, I am equal parts Techie and Artist. I am a Democrat who came to the Southwest to attend college. I married, had kids and have lived here all my adult life.