Making good Mondays is like making coffee -


The week is before us - like the coffee pot - waiting to brew. Making it good is a matter of choice, luck, creativity, patience and acceptance of the outcome.

Currently at Making Good Mondays

Active elements on this page: Occasionally I will publish a new blog post, but I write mostly at other sites.

Monday, August 02, 2010

I've learned to stay inside - but I am left with questions.

Often because of inclement weather, and for other reasons, I came to prefer being inside the house to being outside.  My nickname in the family was "the houseplant." Growing up in Wyoming meant a considerable number of days in the winter when it was too cold to be outside.  Living all my adult life in Texas has meant a considerable number of days in the summer when it is too hot to be outside.  Stay by the heater or stay by the AC, those are my perceived choices over spending time out in the weather being uncomfortable.  Far too cold or far too hot, what's to do?

In Texas where we have relatively few snow storms, kids and adults alike cannot wait to get out in the snow to make snowmen, slide down hills or brave the freeways.  I do not like cold feet, stinging eyes, skidding or falling down.  I'll skip those pleasures, thanks. But what if I run out of groceries?

I will also skip swimming in the lakes, hiking in the woods or golfing on the links.  I found out about golf in the summer in Texas one August many years ago.  As a young wife of an avid golfer, I felt duty bound to learn the sport.  I was fitted with clubs, cleated shoes and my own single glove.  Off we went, for a fun day.  And I was miserable.  It only took me one day to give up the sport, and embarrassed about the waste.  This houseplant just couldn't do it.  Knowing I am un-athletic, why did I even try?

I am left with  relatively short and perfectly beautiful spring and fall seasons.  And Texas has many beautiful or interesting outdoor places, including at my own house.How can I change old habits so that I don't skip those good outside experiences?

Of late, however, I find myself occasionally outside in the hot sunshine for a bit of Vitamin D, to go with my calcium, to go with my mild osteoporosis.  And my skin gets freckles, just like when I was a kid.  Or they age spots?

Maybe there is yet hope for me.


-- Post date 8/2/10 by *Carol Gee,*

Author of:  *Southwest Postings <http://carolgee1southwest.posterous.com/>*, a political
blog.  Member of *Twitter* <http://twitter.com/GeeCarol>*,* a social network

Posted via email from Make Good Mondays

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

References on Spirituality -- Favorites from my old collection

  • "A Return To Love: Reflections On the Principles Of a Course In Miracles" by Marianne Williamson. Harper Collins, 1992
  • "A World Waiting To Be Born: Civility Rediscovered" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Chicken Soup For the Unsinkable Soul" by Canfield, Hansen and McNamara. Health Communications, 1999
  • "Compassion in Action: Setting Out On the Path of Service" by Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush. Bell Tower Pub., 1992
  • "Creative Visualization" by Shakti Gawain. MIF Books, 1978
  • "Finding Values That Work: The Search For Fulfillment" by Brian O'Connell. Walker & Co., 1978
  • "Fire in the Soul" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1993
  • "Further Along the Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Guilt Is the Teacher, Love Is the Lesson" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1990
  • "Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways To Regain Peace and Nourish the Soul" by Elaine St. James. Hyperion, 1995
  • "Insearch:Psychology and Religion" by James Hillman. Spring Pub. 1994
  • "Man's Search For Himself" by Rollo May. Signet Books, 1953
  • "Mythologies" by William Butler Yeats. Macmillan, 1959
  • "Myths, Dreams and Religion" by Joseph Campbell. Spring Pub. 1988
  • "Passion for Life: Psychology and the Human Spirit" by John and Muriel James. Penguin Books, 1991
  • "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Bantam Books , 1991
  • "The Heroine's Journey" by Mureen Murdock. Random House, 1990
  • "The Hope For Healing Human Evil" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1983
  • "The House of Belonging" poems by David Whyte. Many Rivers Press, 2004
  • "The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth" by M.Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1978
  • "The Soul's Code: In Search Of Character and Calling" by James Hillman. Random House, 1996
  • "The World Treasury of Modern Religious Thought" by Jaroslav Pelikan. Little, Brown & Co., 1990
  • "Unconditional Life" by Deepak Chopra. Bantam Books, 1992
  • "Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Hyperion, 1994
  • "Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Doubleday Dell Pub. Group, 1974

About Me

My photo
A retired counselor, I am equal parts Techie and Artist. I am a Democrat who came to the Southwest to attend college. I married, had kids and have lived here all my adult life.