Making good Mondays is like making coffee -


The week is before us - like the coffee pot - waiting to brew. Making it good is a matter of choice, luck, creativity, patience and acceptance of the outcome.

Currently at Making Good Mondays

Active elements on this page: Occasionally I will publish a new blog post, but I write mostly at other sites.

Saturday, September 05, 2009

It would be easier if we could see the humor here.

The Republican fringe elements latest and most cruel personal attacks on the President of the United States, Barack H. Obama, are reaching a new low point. I wish I could laugh at all this but it is very hard to glean anything the least bit funny in their protestations, though I must say that pourmecoffee's tweet comes the closest.

To say our president wants to do harm to the nation's children is just beyond anything remotely resembling mere politics. It shows a depth of unkindness that is quite stark and unsettling. And because I am old enough to be the President's parent, it brings out my protective instincts. Mr. Obama needs help and support, not lies, racism, hatred or cruelty. Before you sigh, just give me my Pollyanna moment.

Cruelty and bullying makes me sick to my stomach. Ignorance tries my tolerance. Purposeful insanity makes me crazy. And treasonous intentions make me anxious. We see too much of all of the above. For now I am putting my little criticisms of the Obama administration in the drawer. All of us who try to project good will must send it in the direction it needs to go. The opposition must learn that kindness is not weakness, that ignorance is not bliss and that patriotism is not to be feared. I am worried about our nation's future otherwise.

The depth of un-American and counterproductive political behavior this last month has been a surprise to many of us who would prefer bipartisanship. There is none to be found. Given all the messes this administration inherited, the ineptitudes of Congressional leadership, two wars and unemployment soon to hit double digits, any presidential failure would redound on Republicans, too. The level of the opposition's delusion seems profound. The nihilism being shown hints that they do not care. There seems no rational conclusion except one that the End-timer Movement is picking up a number of new adherents.

It would be easier if I could have more confidence, if I could see more of the positive. But I do not like the emerging dark trends; there are no joking matters here.

Posted via email from Southwest Postings

3 comments:

emmapeelDallas said...

Good post; I agree with you. I am becoming alarmed at the animosity of these attacks on the President.

billie said...

these folks want nothing less than a takeover. they are armed and unhinged and they are ready. when the dems allow this to happen, we are in big trouble.

Carol Gee said...

To both emma and betmo: I wondered if I was over reacting, but from your comments I was not. There is still no humor to be found, only sadness for the country. Thanks to both of you, my long time blog friends. :-)

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

References on Spirituality -- Favorites from my old collection

  • "A Return To Love: Reflections On the Principles Of a Course In Miracles" by Marianne Williamson. Harper Collins, 1992
  • "A World Waiting To Be Born: Civility Rediscovered" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Chicken Soup For the Unsinkable Soul" by Canfield, Hansen and McNamara. Health Communications, 1999
  • "Compassion in Action: Setting Out On the Path of Service" by Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush. Bell Tower Pub., 1992
  • "Creative Visualization" by Shakti Gawain. MIF Books, 1978
  • "Finding Values That Work: The Search For Fulfillment" by Brian O'Connell. Walker & Co., 1978
  • "Fire in the Soul" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1993
  • "Further Along the Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Guilt Is the Teacher, Love Is the Lesson" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1990
  • "Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways To Regain Peace and Nourish the Soul" by Elaine St. James. Hyperion, 1995
  • "Insearch:Psychology and Religion" by James Hillman. Spring Pub. 1994
  • "Man's Search For Himself" by Rollo May. Signet Books, 1953
  • "Mythologies" by William Butler Yeats. Macmillan, 1959
  • "Myths, Dreams and Religion" by Joseph Campbell. Spring Pub. 1988
  • "Passion for Life: Psychology and the Human Spirit" by John and Muriel James. Penguin Books, 1991
  • "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Bantam Books , 1991
  • "The Heroine's Journey" by Mureen Murdock. Random House, 1990
  • "The Hope For Healing Human Evil" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1983
  • "The House of Belonging" poems by David Whyte. Many Rivers Press, 2004
  • "The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth" by M.Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1978
  • "The Soul's Code: In Search Of Character and Calling" by James Hillman. Random House, 1996
  • "The World Treasury of Modern Religious Thought" by Jaroslav Pelikan. Little, Brown & Co., 1990
  • "Unconditional Life" by Deepak Chopra. Bantam Books, 1992
  • "Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Hyperion, 1994
  • "Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Doubleday Dell Pub. Group, 1974

About Me

My photo
A retired counselor, I am equal parts Techie and Artist. I am a Democrat who came to the Southwest to attend college. I married, had kids and have lived here all my adult life.