Making good Mondays is like making coffee -


The week is before us - like the coffee pot - waiting to brew. Making it good is a matter of choice, luck, creativity, patience and acceptance of the outcome.

Currently at Making Good Mondays

Active elements on this page: Occasionally I will publish a new blog post, but I write mostly at other sites.

Monday, September 07, 2009

Labor Day Long Ago

My first day of school occurred in 1944.  The day after Labor Day signaled the start of school when I was a child. To this day, Labor Day is the beginning of another year for me, though I am not in school and haven't sent my kids to school for decades.  These days, Labor Day carries very different cultural meanings. Most schools have already started and lots of people do not get the day off from work.

We lived on an alfalfa farm; my dad irrigated with water from Diversion Dam, pictured above. As the eldest of five children I was the first to go to school.  I entered the first grade; there was no kindergarten.  I rode a long way on a big yellow bus, walking out to the gate at the road to catch it.  I can't remember, but I'll bet my feet would not touch the floor for a few years.

My dad would have nothing of the labor movement.  He was one of those classic Wyoming men -- independent, Republican, very aware of national politics.  He was not a Roosevelt man, though I never heard him criticize the President or appear to be disrespectful of the office.  We listened to both national party conventions on the radio, and thought that surely Tom Dewey would beat Harry Truman in '48.

And now I have teen grandchildren in school in Texas, and a daughter who is a third grade teacher.  They are all out of school for Labor Day.  The third graders will not hear President Obama's speech to them, and the older kids will be allowed to listen to a taped delayed message with parental permission, I think.  This is to be sure that all indoctrination danger is avoided.  Yes, it is bad here.  Even their staunch Republican great-grandfather would not have thought all of that was necessary.  I am glad I am not a Republican in 2009.

So today I hearken back to better memories of a Labor Day long ago, and the beginning of a school year that my parents honored and that I loved for every one of my first 12 years.  I wish the same love of school and love of country for my grandchildren, as I had.  We shall see.


Posted via email from Southwest Postings

No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

References on Spirituality -- Favorites from my old collection

  • "A Return To Love: Reflections On the Principles Of a Course In Miracles" by Marianne Williamson. Harper Collins, 1992
  • "A World Waiting To Be Born: Civility Rediscovered" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Chicken Soup For the Unsinkable Soul" by Canfield, Hansen and McNamara. Health Communications, 1999
  • "Compassion in Action: Setting Out On the Path of Service" by Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush. Bell Tower Pub., 1992
  • "Creative Visualization" by Shakti Gawain. MIF Books, 1978
  • "Finding Values That Work: The Search For Fulfillment" by Brian O'Connell. Walker & Co., 1978
  • "Fire in the Soul" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1993
  • "Further Along the Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1993
  • "Guilt Is the Teacher, Love Is the Lesson" by Joan Borysenko. Warner Books, 1990
  • "Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways To Regain Peace and Nourish the Soul" by Elaine St. James. Hyperion, 1995
  • "Insearch:Psychology and Religion" by James Hillman. Spring Pub. 1994
  • "Man's Search For Himself" by Rollo May. Signet Books, 1953
  • "Mythologies" by William Butler Yeats. Macmillan, 1959
  • "Myths, Dreams and Religion" by Joseph Campbell. Spring Pub. 1988
  • "Passion for Life: Psychology and the Human Spirit" by John and Muriel James. Penguin Books, 1991
  • "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Bantam Books , 1991
  • "The Heroine's Journey" by Mureen Murdock. Random House, 1990
  • "The Hope For Healing Human Evil" by M. Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1983
  • "The House of Belonging" poems by David Whyte. Many Rivers Press, 2004
  • "The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth" by M.Scott Peck. Simon and Schuster, 1978
  • "The Soul's Code: In Search Of Character and Calling" by James Hillman. Random House, 1996
  • "The World Treasury of Modern Religious Thought" by Jaroslav Pelikan. Little, Brown & Co., 1990
  • "Unconditional Life" by Deepak Chopra. Bantam Books, 1992
  • "Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Hyperion, 1994
  • "Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice" by Thich Nhat Hahn. Doubleday Dell Pub. Group, 1974

About Me

My photo
A retired counselor, I am equal parts Techie and Artist. I am a Democrat who came to the Southwest to attend college. I married, had kids and have lived here all my adult life.